What is a Home Mortgage?
A home mortgage is the most popular way to owning a property and is likely the best option to ensuring you find a home at an affordable price.
The American dream is synonymous with homeownership. It's that rewarding feeling of paying for house, providing for a family and a having a place to call home. There's no greater accomplishment. And for many, the only way it is possible is by obtaining a home mortgage.
What is a home mortgage? A home mortgage is when you the borrower, obtains a loan from a lender for a house, where you establish a plan to pay the lender in monthly installments. As a home is likely the largest purchase a person will make in their lifetime, most people do not have the cash up front to up and purchase a home. That's where a home mortgage comes in. Where you would otherwise be out of luck when it comes to buying a home, a mortgage is available to ensure you get a roof over your head.
Options for new home owners. There are a number of decisions to make when it comes to obtaining a home mortgage. Depending on the current market conditions, certain options might be better than others. Nonetheless, you will want to find a mortgage that is tailored to suit your needs and affordability levels. So what are the different options?
- Fixed-rate mortgages- The interest rate on this type of loan stays the same throughout the life of the loan, and is organized in equal monthly payments throughout that time. The most popular fixed-rate mortgages last 30 years.
- Adjustable-rate mortgages- With these mortgages, the interest changes each year. These are popular when fixed-rate mortgage rates are high and homebuyers are hoping to adjust for a lower rate down the road.
- Interest-only loans- These types of loans are the least popular of the three options. They allow borrowers to pay only the interest rate for a set amount of years, without having to pay the principal.
Finding an affordable housing loan. A homebuyer must choose a plan they believe is right for them, meaning they must do their homework and secure a low mortgage rate. There are a number of resources available to ensure you find the right lender, who will get you the lowest possible rate.
I want to understand the mortgage process better.
- Four Benefits of Working With a Real Estate Agent
- Product Solutions for Today’s Unique Market
- What is a Home Mortgage?
- FAQs About Mortgages
- Fixed vs. Variable
- Conventional Mortgages
- Residential Mortgages
- Tips for a Simple Loan Approval
- E-Consent and E-Sign
- Viewing the Closing Disclosure
- Do I Need Flood Insurance?