After weeks of staying at home during the COVID-19 pandemic and with the arrival of summer, most of us are yearning to get outdoors—even if it’s only in our own backyards!
Our backyards should be a place of enjoyment and refuge—a place to escape when you want to unwind and relax.
Here are a few tips to turn your outdoor space into a peaceful oasis:
- Clear the clutter. Take the time to clean up your yard and get rid of broken or no longer used play equipment, furniture, and accessories. Weed and prune overgrown trees and hedges. In other words, remove anything that may distract you from relaxing.
- Hang a hammock. From hammocks to loungers, the more comfortable the seating in your backyard, the more likely you are to spend time there.
- Add a water feature. The sight and sound of water has a calming effect, restorative effect.
- Spring for shade. If your backyard does not have a lot of trees, create shade with umbrellas, pergolas, and awnings.
- Ensure privacy. Dividing and secluding the area with carefully placed screens, walls, or fences of suitable height will give your space a sense of seclusion.
- Put in outdoor lighting. Outdoor lighting brings a relaxed ambiance to a space in the evening.
Following these tips are sure to transform your backyard into a space you want to get away to, not getaway from.